Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: eiger-north-wall

1. Header
  2. Header-59

BLiNC Magazine, always served unfiltered

eiger-north-wall

Red Bull Acro Team Basejumper Ueli "the Sputnik" opened a new exit called "champignon" off the eiger north wall in switzerland and did a 13 sec. freefall after climbing to the very impressive exit point. pictures will follow on www.redbull-acroteam.com

RE: eiger-north-wall

Hey Sputnik...not so sure about that...Eric Jones did a jump from the Eiger some moons ago,think it was off the north wall/face maybe you should give him a call to check out where he stepped off...his phone number is available from Leo Dickinson...

really not, we were on this mushroom in 1994 to jump it !!!!!!!!!

please check before !!

Nick

More (red) Bull S#$T

Eric Jones is Eiger #1. The jump was made in late 1989 and a photo of it was published in the Fixed Object Journal in 1990.

I suppose you can be forgiven for not knowing about it. Not a glory hunter or braggert, Eric Jones BASE jumped for the ulitmate reason, for himself.

Nick D.
    BASE 194

RE: More (red) Bull S#$T

sorry, but he jumped from a small cliff at the bottom of the north face, this cliff is 100meters and the north face 1800meters, then it's not really from the north face

in 1990, a french guys jumped from the middle, near the mushroom, with a snowboard.
    in 1994, a Sector Team, with Ruby jerome and Rhem dedé, was on the mushroom.

so please red bullshit team, check before saying bull #####

Welcome Back, Nick

Been wondering when we'd see some more of your pearls, kiddo.

By the way, there's a lot of people out in Moab claiming "firsts" that were done years ago by Alf Humphries and his associates, but you know the old saying: If you're clueless, it's a first to you.

Unfortunately, BASE is no different than any other field of human endeavor; the trailblazers and creators get quickly forgotten once the new experiential toy is up and running.

BASE44

RE: Welcome Back, Nick

"in 1994, a Sector Team, with Ruby jerome and Rhem dedé, was on the mushroom."

and so the question begs....were they really on the mushroom?

Remember when we did this for the smile, the chills,
    the eroticism, the freedom, the knicker twisting thrill, the quiet hug of a friend.. and the honor of respecting all before......
    we still try to, as do many....but then we jump for the bake sales.....
    gotta love those cookies

RE: Welcome Back, Nick

JUst do it for yourself!! who the ##### cares who was there first or second ?! why are u base jumping ??to be the first on each spot ?NO WAY! just to feel you'r alive and kicking!

c'ya

BLiNC Magazine Supporter (Silver)

Nick

"Cliffs in the City"

>sorry, but he jumped from a
    >small cliff at the bottom
    >of the north face, this
    >cliff is 100meters and the
    >north face 1800meters, then it's
    >not really from the north
    >face

I knew two fellows who visited the same building (Symphony Towers) during its construction. The first fellow jumped from what is (was) the top floor and that's the 16th (she'll top out at thirty four), but he gleefully direct bagged the 160 feet to the sidewalk on numerous occasions.

When the building reached into the thirties another jumper came along and started freefalling it. Which one of these two fellows did not jump Symphony Towers?

And yes, concerning Eric Jones, I too see two types of jumps here, however, any feat in BASE is feat enough to toast, and feet, never mind time, doesn't have anything to do with it.

The second and third time around you'll always need to slice it thinner. :-)

Nick

doing it for yourself

you're right, steve, first and second and 30th is less important than doing it at all; I just think those who insist on trumpeting their "firsts" should do a little homework before they claim virgins who have already deen deflowered.

I was the first to jump EVE (i.e Adams Root)

Yes, it is true. I jumped Eve last week and I was the first.

I also jumped El Cap, and Troll, and Leaning Tower of Piza, and my mother. All last week and I was the first.

I would like to thank my sponsors, Alfredo's home made vino. If you want to lose your energy, try Alfredo's.

P.S Seriously though, nice jump anyway Red Bull guys. Good photo's in a beautiful part of the world. Keep trying for a real first. You'll get there.

Respect and Kudos for Mr Eric Jones. A living outdoor adventure legend. Some one all of us should look up to.

Anon ;)

RE: I was the first to jump EVE (i.e Adams Root)

the problem they do publicity like they are the first and they are not !!

Faulty logic, bad analogy, Nick

There's a big difference between doing a 100 meter route and an 1800 meter route on the same wall.

There are many climbs on El Capitan, and many "firsts" claimed because they did different routes, with different conditions, requirements and levels of difficulty.

And nobody who climbed 100 meters up El Capitan would ever think of claiming to be the "first" to climb El Capitan.

Eric Jones may be the first to jump a route ON the Eiger north face, and he'll always have that prestigious distinction, but he was not "Eiger #1" to the exclusion of the red bull guys or the ones who jumped before them.

As for your analogy, the Eiger was not only 100 meters high when Eric jumped it. It's been its current height longer than humans have been alive, so it's not even remotely the same situation.

All the people in questions jumped the Eiger; that's not in questioin. But as climbers do when they hear that someone has _climbed_ the Eiger, the next questions are: Which route, and which ascent (descent)?

Again, in climbing, first ascents are big news, second and third ascents are noted accomplishments (especially if a long time goes by -- I jumped a cliff in the Fisher Towers by Moab in 1993 after jugging up the fixed lines of Rob Slater and Stu Richey, who had done just the second ascent of "The Oracle," as the route was called -- almost 30 years after some fellow named Harvey something-or-other did it first (I honored Harvey's achievement by naming my launch point (halfway up) "Harvey's Toe."

SO to bottom line it: Whoever did the first descent of the mushroom claims a first descent from that route just as much as Eric gets to claims his. Eric also has the distinction of being the first person to make a jump anywhere on the Eiger.

Robin

Staff Member

RE: More (red) Bull S#$T

Hi french jumper
    >so please red bullshit team, check
    >before saying bull #####
    I regret your lack of professionalism. Where is this "lord of sites" that one should check with? So you wish to crash him because he didn´t know? This is unbecoming of you.
    space

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast