Thread: What is the ideal BASE wingloading (pounds of exit weight per square foot of canopy)?

1. Header
  2. Header-59

BLiNC Magazine, always served unfiltered
    imported_Tom Aiello

What is the ideal BASE wingloading (pounds of exit weight per square foot of canopy)?

BLiNC Magazine Supporter (Silver) crwper's Avatar

"Ideal" wingloading

This depends a lot on the kind of jumping you're doing, doesn't it? Sounds a bit like asking, "What is the ideal car/truck?" Depends if you want to haul large loads, go really fast, or save a lot of money on gas.

Michael

Andy

RE: "Ideal" wingloading

I don't see it. In what way would wingload depent on the kind of jump you are doing?

Andy

wingloading

Perhaps the results of your last poll on wingloading would show us the "ideal" number. It looks like somewhere between 0.70-0.75 was the average value.

Load it too much and your landings will feel the effects.....load it too little and your canopy is not as responsive.

Cya.

------------
    Jason Bell (BASE428)
    Email: jbell@vertical-visions.com
    Web: www.vertical-visions.com or www.bridgeday.info

motherhucker

wing loading

I agree w/ crwper.
    It's hard to pin an "ideal" loading accross the board.
    I like to jump a smaller wingloading in higher alpine conditions, particularly where I am landing at 11000+ MSL. I also prefer to jump a higher loaded canopy when I know I'm gonna hook it (I'm talking Daggers here, not Stilettos). I think the type of object, as well as current conditions (Wx and planned landing conditions) have a great deal to do with your wing loading choice. If I had to only choose ONE canopy to fly, I would choose somewhere around the .75 range.

BLiNC Magazine Supporter (Silver) crwper's Avatar

RE: "Ideal" wingloading

There are a lot of parameters one might want to minimize/maximize -- time to bottom/top skin inflation, forward speed, downward speed, reponsiveness, charactersitics in deep brakes/stall for those times when you need to back away from the object...

It is unlikely all of these goals are attained with a particular wingloading, so your "optimum" wingloading depends on which of these goals are most important to you.

I jump a v-tec Fox 245 loaded about .65, which has worked pretty well for me in most situations. But on some big E jumps, where winds are often higher during the canopy flight than at exit, I might choose a slightly smaller canopy to get better penetration, and allow me to stay in a position of advantage with respect to the landing area.

On jumps where I need to sink it in, this canopy has usually done pretty well for me, but for really tight landing areas, or high altitudes, I might go to something a bit bigger (say .75 or so).

Michael