PDA

View Full Version : Completely new to the sport

double_a
July 21st, 2010, 09:52 AM
Hey everyone,

I'm a complete novice when it comes to BASE, heck, I'm still what you'd call a novice skydiver. I've got 49 jumps on my belt and no rig as of yet, but I do run a skydive blog where several skydivers post their stories (link in signature)

As it stands, I'm looking to inform myself as much as possible about BASE jumping before I start taking steps towards my first jump.

Any suggestions?

Mike, great job on the website by the way!

mknutson
July 21st, 2010, 10:39 AM
The first place I would suggest is Getting Into BASE. There are several hundred pages in the WIKI that can keep you busy ready for quite some time.

seldomseen
July 21st, 2010, 02:57 PM
Any suggestions?

GO read BASE Fatality List (http://www.splatula.com/bfl/)

And when your done reading it once.... read it again.

Uberchris
July 21st, 2010, 03:10 PM
Skydive a whole bunch, and after a while you will learn who the base jumpers are at your dz. If you expres your interest to them, they may let you ground crew and show you the ropes if you have a decent head on your shoulders..... if not, find something else

double_a
July 21st, 2010, 03:15 PM
Well, the plan is to begin learning after my 200th jump anyways, so I've got time.
As for the fatality list, I've already read it.
I'm well aware of the statement "If you start BASE jumping, you'll see your friends die, if you do it for long enough, so will you".

I do however still want to try my hand at it once I'm experienced enough.

Thanks for the link to the wiki.

Shane Brunson
July 25th, 2010, 10:36 AM
Thanks for all this great info, I too am new to the sport and just want to thank everyone here for giving links to these sites. OFf to go read.