PDA

View Full Version : Fatality in Thailand

Craig
October 5th, 2004, 10:24 AM
The words escape me so the facts as I know them. My good friend and fellow Team Crank team mate, Neil Queminet, has been killed whilst climbing to an exit point in Ton Sai, Thailand.

I am completely gutted. A large part of my jumping has been done with Neil and I am competely numb. He was the safest jumper I know. The most thoughtful and considered. He came from a climbing (and skydiving) background so I'm finding it difficult to comprehend that it was something to do with the climb. Words are failing me. I hope to come back later with some thoughts and memories of Neil.

Just found this news article from http://news.scotsman.com/latest.cfm?id=3585988

British Adventurer Dies in Thai Cliff Fall

A 38-year-old British tourist preparing to parachute off a cliff at a beach resort in Thailand fell to his death today

Neil Andrew Queminet of London had been climbing up a cliff with 390 miles south of Bangkok, said police Major Noppadon Mukdha .

Base – an acronym for Building, Antenna, Span, Earth – refers to parachuting from fixed objects such as towers, bridges and cliffs.

Mr Queminet and his two friends had climbed part of the way, and as they prepared to strap into ropes for the remainder of the climb, he fell about 330 feet, Noppadon said.

The Briton suffered head injuries and died at the scene, he said.

Ton Sai beach has long been popular with backpackers and rock climbers, mostly foreign tourists.

I love you bruvva. It's not going to be the same without you.

Be safe people.

Craig

Mac
October 5th, 2004, 10:29 AM
I could not believe this when I heard.................. I cant say how it felt to hear this.

FU(K

peace dude...........I love ya work

thoughts go out to all close..............

its a dark time for the UK at the moment............

sabre210
October 5th, 2004, 10:30 AM
Words Fail me.

My heart aches.

ian

SideSwooper
October 5th, 2004, 11:22 AM
Words Fail me.

My heart aches.

ian

All words are impotent right now. My thoughts are with his wife and his team mates.

I'm off to the pub to find a quiet corner and have a drink while I remember a truely splendid fellow. Neil is the dapper (in mind and body) gentleman with a red shirt in the middle of the picture.

Ron

http://www.outpatientsonline.com/images/photos/CHApril2004/small/102_0268.jpg

Faber
October 5th, 2004, 12:41 PM
Im so sorry for this loss

You contacted me first time to talk about SL setups,i first didnt understanded why a guy like you would ask a newbie like me about stuff like this,but i later found out that you did so to hear the oppinion from another point of weiv,to make sure you didnt overlooked anything(not that i belive you ever could).

You did listen to me about my concerns and helped me on gear stuff,Right now i look at your msn profile,smiling of the pic you used..

Neil we talked so much about jumping together,we got our chance this summer as i were in UK,but we never made it happen.I feel so guilty:(

Today as i got theese sad news i were about to go make my jump #150,You got the jump mate,and even as i dont belive in stuff like that,i think i got your "c ya"

My DEEPEST condolance to Neil´s family and freinds,even to the world,we lost one of the good guys today.

UK BASE seems to take a hard curve this year,please play safe guys(not only the UK)

Fly free brother

Frog
October 5th, 2004, 01:39 PM
What to say...
My heart is with ya guys! My deepest condolences to his family and his friends! Sad days for all the community...
Fly free Neil!
B.S.B.D.

freeatlast
October 5th, 2004, 02:29 PM
A very sad day indeed ... My condolences to his family and friends ... i hardly knew the guy but he was always happy to help even a newbie like me ... he will be missed ...

Fly free ...

jules
October 5th, 2004, 04:04 PM
Neil is the dapper (in mind and body) gentleman with a red shirt in the middle of the picture.

Ron

http://outpatientsonline.com/images/photos/CHApril2004/small/102_0268.jpg

Totally gutted.

Jules

Ferry
October 5th, 2004, 04:55 PM
My condoleances to his family and friends. And the UK crew, take care guys...

Skinflicka
October 5th, 2004, 08:13 PM
Utter sadness.

I don't have the words.

My thoughts to you all...

Jase.

QuickDraw
October 5th, 2004, 11:35 PM
Only shared a couple of e-mails with him, but what a nice guy.

Cya Neil.

Small
October 6th, 2004, 01:47 AM
Neil was a top bloke, generous with his time, his advice and his friendship. He was graceful on the exit point and one of the safest, most thoughtful jumpers I know.

Miss you already mate,

Gus

Biff
October 6th, 2004, 04:06 AM
Neil is my friend and I'm going to miss him. His calm, measured approach; to life in general and BASE in particular was an inspiration. He had a quirky, dry sense of humour, sharing an exit point or beer with him was a pleasure. I'm going to miss his 'Is this Biff the Bunny?' calls.

Will

meeker_boy
October 6th, 2004, 07:11 AM
This is such a sad loss to the UK Base community (and the world). I met Neil last year in Switzerland and been on several trips with him since. We were on the 30-way in Russia this year together and I was crapping myself. Neil calm as ever gave me encouragement and was a great help.

God bless you and love you.
Meeker

leigh
October 6th, 2004, 08:15 AM
You couldn't hope to meet a nicer man, we have all lost a very good friend.
He will be sorely missed
leigh

mknutson
October 6th, 2004, 08:46 AM
I am truely BUMMED!
Neil has been an awsome guy! I can even remember all the emails he sent me while I was in Switzerland. Always happy! Always an awesome guy!

My heart goes out to his wife and family.

unclecharlie109
October 6th, 2004, 12:09 PM
We have lost a true gentleman and a talented BASE jumper

Gutted

Fly free brother Neil

Tango

sabre210
October 6th, 2004, 01:03 PM
This is a huge loss both personally and for UK BASE. Neil was a truly great and fun person to be around and i will miss his wisdom, encouragement and inspiration. He epitomises for me the perfect "all round" BASE jumper. Happy slider up or down; freefalling or static lining; off all types of objects in all types of climates all over the world; doing solo jumps for the love or big ways for the giggles; sneaky little jumps or high profile events; 3000ft or 130ft. A great tracker, a flawless body position and exit technique ,solid dependable canopy control, and a great ethical ambassador.

A perfectly modest role model for UK BASE.

My thoughts are with Hayley, his family and friends and of course his own personal demon Dan-the-man.

I am going to miss him.

Rest in Peace bruvva

Ian

ps. you owe me for those rope ladders.

QuickDraw
October 6th, 2004, 01:27 PM
Some tributes here too.

Press clipping (http://www.eadt.co.uk/content/news/story.asp?datetime=06+Oct+2004+06%3A15&tbrand=EADOnline&tCategory=NEWS&category=News&brand=EADOnline&itemid=IPED05+Oct+2004+23%3A15%3A27%3A503)

fastpete
October 6th, 2004, 02:32 PM
its hard to think that i just had a nice partying with him in Moscow few weeks ago. ****ty feeling now.

Condoleance from all Finnish Crew to family and friends.

FastPete 844

verticalfyer
October 7th, 2004, 10:28 AM
Neil was one of the nicest guys I met, first new Neil in 96 at Ipswich Dz great guy and one of the most genuine people out there, sold him my classic II and he flew pretty nicely. Very sad to hear of this terrible accident.

He is already missed.

Fraser

DantheMan
October 7th, 2004, 05:00 PM
Champ, you f_cking stupid f_cking idiot! What the f_ck have you gone and done now???...
I can't f_cking believe it- what you playing at jumping without me anyway?
That's it! No more 2-ways or sneaky little bandit jumps,you've pissed me right off!...
Now i've got to break in a new jump buddy.
See you in the next life.

Laters.
Dan-the-Man.
PS
Definitely not a nice one Bruvva...
Koleshaker's not happy.

king climbers thailand
October 8th, 2004, 07:29 AM
Hi
I am king from king Climbers krabi, Thailand. I am been searching the web to try to find out who I went to rescue on the 5th October 2004. At 9am on the 5th i got a call that someone had fallen at ton sai so I hopped onto a boat to ton sai with all the equipment, (resuce basket, spinal broad etc) On my arrival to Ton Sai The person had already been fallen for over 30 minutes. He had head and internal injuries. The people who were with him did not know what to do. He had just past away on my arrival. I can not explain how I felt to see such a young person to die. I was the person who took the body to krabi hospital I did not even know his name. My wife robin & I stayed with him until the police and doctors came. Around 4pm I got a message that his wife/girlfriend had been located. This has been one of the saddess day of my life.
All I want to say if future jumper planning trips here to krabi please do not solo, use climbing equipment to get the ledge for jumping.

May Neil rest in peace
King, Robin and krabi rescue team

mknutson
October 8th, 2004, 08:41 AM
I think the entire BASE community is saddened right now. So we all share your feeling.

I appreciate the concern for climbing, and would also recommend that "Experienced" jumper contact you as you are a "Local" to this object. However, I would ask that you do not just take _anyone_ asking to go to the exit point there unless the experience level of that person can be validated by someone here at BLiNC Magazine/The BASE Board.
There are many people here on BLiNC Magazine that can attest to anyone in the sport. If a jumper can not be verified, or when someone does know about the jumper in question but feels the jumper un-qualified, more accidents could happen due to the jumpers in-experience.

NOTE: Neil _WAS_ experienced and qualified for this jump. However, there are many who are not.
I would just hope you never have to expereince this again.

Everyone be safe out there!
Because in my opinion, we even lost the worlds best base jumper recently. It can happen to anyone.

Small
October 8th, 2004, 09:48 AM
Thank you for helping our friend, King. I'm sorry you found yourself in that situation :(

Gus

Eddy
October 9th, 2004, 12:08 PM
I waited for the words to come, but they haven't and I doubt they ever will...

He is missed.

Peace be with you

Eddy

Craig
October 18th, 2004, 07:15 AM
Neil is to be cremated on Wednesday the 20th of October and will be followed by a post service gathering in a local hotel. If you aren't aware of the details, please make yourself known.

The family have requested that there be no funeral flowers but donations can be made in lieu to Sight Savers International, c/o Brown Fenn & Parker, 37 North Street, Sudbury CO10 1RD +44 (0)1787 370909

Craig
October 21st, 2004, 04:34 AM
Neil was cremated yesterday. It was amazing to see how many people Neil touched from so many aspects of his life. The chapel was crammed and so was the celebration afterwards. Dan-the-man provided a beautiful wreath which spelt 3-2-1 cya and the coffin got a Team Crank sticker! Love your work mate. It made me smile through the tears. We then got very, very drunk and talked about him for hours. "It's what he would have wanted." I wish you could have been there mate, it was a great party. Now my head hurts as well as my heart!

We miss you mate and we love you.

Team Crank

Mac
October 21st, 2004, 04:40 AM
It certainly was very touching and thought provoking. Although the circumstances sucked, it was cool to bridge some gaps and meet other jumpers again that perhaps sometimes rarely talk to each other.

Thoughts to Team Crank.
Thoughts to all touched.

larry
November 6th, 2004, 04:12 AM
well what i say i knew neil from school until our early 20's i'm shocked he's gone i've only just found out he was a great mate and a genuine guy i'm certain he will be missed by many