PDA

View Full Version : Wingsuiting the Warlock

stinkydragon
September 15th, 2004, 08:58 PM
I got a really nice Warlock second hand not too long ago. None of my friends who wingsuit have Warlocks and I would like to know what kind of experience people have with them. The only reason I ask is because the bottom of the container looks a bit like it might do gnarly things during a high horizontal speed opening. Does Vertigo offer a dynamic corner mod? Is that recommended? Input? Thanks.

RexGreen
September 15th, 2004, 09:09 PM
The Merlin is the wingsuit specific container Vertigo has put out, if my memory serves me correct.

zennie
September 15th, 2004, 10:01 PM
Does Vertigo offer a dynamic corner mod? Is that recommended?

Vertigo does offer a wingsuit mod for its Warlock containers. The mod is basically open corners and a tuck tab above the top pin. I've ordered this mod for both of my containers, even though I don't do any birdman jumps. I just like the idea of a completely clean opening with no pack tray to do weird things as the canopy leaves the container.

Obviously, since I've ordered a second Warlock, you can guess how I feel about their design & workmanship. :cool:

Pascal
September 16th, 2004, 05:43 AM
I made now 3 wingsuit jumps (GTI) on my warlock container and I'm very happy with the openings (don't having the Wingsuit-mod). A friend of mine uses it for Skyflyer. Same here, always nice openings.

Tom Aiello
September 16th, 2004, 08:39 AM
I made now 3 wingsuit jumps (GTI) on my warlock container and I'm very happy with the openings (don't having the Wingsuit-mod). A friend of mine uses it for Skyflyer. Same here, always nice openings.

WARNING: I have seen premature deployments (which thankfully did not result in horseshoes) from the unmodified Warlock in wingsuit flight. I'd strongly recommend sending it to Vertigo for the wingsuit mod if you are going to be using it for wingsuit flights.

Pascal
September 17th, 2004, 06:56 AM
Thanks Tom, I think I'm going for this modification. Can you describe more precise how this openings you saw have been?

Tom Aiello
September 17th, 2004, 08:34 AM
Thanks Tom, I think I'm going for this modification. Can you describe more precise how this openings you saw have been?

Essentially, the airflow over the jumpers back popped the pin flap open, then caught the bridle and extracted the pins. The PC, very fortunately, self extracted, or this would have been a horseshoe malfunction.

The jumper who experienced this is truly a pioneer (and master) of wingsuit BASE, so (a) his flights are quite fast and efficient, and (b) this was relatively early on. He was also jumping a fairly loose (in terms of pin tension) Warlock. As a result of these experiences, he helped design the wingsuit mod for the Warlock (as well as helping out with the Merlin). He had a potentially life threatening experience, and found a way to prevent it in the future. It would be silly of us not to learn from his experience.

stinkydragon
September 17th, 2004, 10:20 PM
Thanks for the info, everyone. You've all helped me out a lot.