PDA

View Full Version : Pilot Chute Assist vs. Direct Bag

December 5th, 2000, 01:27 AM
What are the Pros/cons of PCA vs Direct Bag, and is there a preferred holding/folding method for PCA?
Also, has anybody any comments on discrepencies between BR's Delay-altitude-equipment chart and the Base Board's rock-drop chart.

The questions are in relation to a 70-80 metre (220-260ft) bridge with a decent landing area.

I'll know actual height pretty soon.

Gaz

December 5th, 2000, 03:08 AM
In my opinion with a good landing area I would say it is high enough to freefall but I know some people who would disagree. There's certainly no need for direct bag though.

I've seen a few different methods for PCA but my preferred method is to take the PC in the right hand with the centreline extended (as per packing to go stowed) and S-fold the bridle in the left hand. As the jumper goes, take the initial shrivel flap snatch with the left hand and the rest with the right. Like I say - I've seen different methods so who's to say I'm right.

I reckon the BR chart is a good place to start but you'll find yourself doing acceptable things that earn you a skull or unhappy face.

Craig

bps
December 5th, 2000, 07:00 AM
Hi Gaz -

Here's my thoughts:

Pros and Cons of Direct Bag vs. PCA

One con with the direct bag is rigging. DBing would obviously require you to rig and pack for a direct bag. On an object that is 220 to 260ft, most jumpers would opt for the PCA, which allows you to approach the exit point with a normal pack job. This is not to say that DBing is a bad idea - it just takes a little more preparation.

If your going to jump this object multiple times, it might be a good place to learn how to DB and PCA with the guidance of an experienced jumper that's well-versed in both.

I wouldn't recommend free-falling an object of this height until you gain more experience. Yes, people are free-falling this height quite often nowadays, but you'll improve your life-expectancy by waiting until you learn more about the art of ultra-low freefalls.

Brake settings, wind currents, pilot-chutes (and the way they are deployed), plus many other factors should be considered before sub 300ft freefalls. Just my opinion...

I'd also recommend using an experienced jumper to PCA or DB you off the object. 200ft off the deck is not the best time to find yourself in an unplanned freefall. If an experienced jumper is not available, I'd recommend gathering up the different methods (like your doing here), then critically evaluate each one of them, and then head out to a higher object (preferably a span), and practice them over an over until you and your mate are confident. Then head out to the low object and give it a spin. You'll feel much more confident on the exit point - this I can assure you. ;-)

Best of luck - and always remember to critically evaluate everything you learn in this sport!

C-ya,

Bryan

December 5th, 2000, 12:40 PM
Quite right on the freefalling Bryan - I didn't ask what experience he had. I just blurted out what I'd do. Also I'd agree to never take anything said here as gospel.

Craig