PDA

View Full Version : Need helpful hints for d-bag

December 28th, 1999, 12:00 AM
I got a reactor with a 245 fox..and a d-bag with red and black handles..does anyone have a helpful hint to keep a neat pack job while stuffing the canopy in the bag?

Also, the d-bag fits only vertically inside my container..I seen it where it fits horizontally but for some reason mine did not..It still deploy but it look strange..anyway happy new year and any helpful hint would be appreciated..

Crash out.

December 28th, 1999, 02:43 AM
CR's web site has info in their library. I'm not sure what BR recommends(Nick?). I usually S-fold at the tailpocket first then do the 8-in "caterpillar" folds. Also, the narrower the pack job, with appropriate knee/hand placement, the easier it is to slide into the d-bag.

.02cents from a low timer,
MG

December 30th, 1999, 03:19 PM
Crash,

A direct bag doesn’t fit horizontally into a REACTOR at all, so I'm confused and not at all sure what you are driving at here. You aren't using this direct bag as deployment bag for freefall, are you? No, that couldn't be . . .

As for keeping the pack job neat as it goes into the bag, well, it's like being able to handle ZP and a small D-bag, it takes experience. In lieu of that, here are some suggestions.

After the canopy is cocooned place the Direct Bag (tongue side down, red handle on the right side) at the top of the canopy. Place the first 18 inches of canopy straight into the bag with no folds and fill the corners. Now, fold the next sections of the canopy into the bag a step at a time. (Using packing clamps can help here) Doing this makes for a tendency for the canopy to come out of the bag the same way it went in (a fold at a time) and there you go, the canopy hits the relative wind configured to open as straight and as quickly as possible. (The whole purpose of direct bag in the first place).

If (on the other hand) you fold up the canopy and place it into the bag all in one clump, it may come out of the bag all in one clump. This bundle then needs towing through the air for some amount of distance before coming undone and actually starting to inflate like a parachute.

The problem is the longer it stays in the clump stage the more time it has to move off heading.

Hope that helps. If I'm still not understanding your question call me at (909) 940-1324 *BEFORE* you do another direct bag jump!

BTW, I just had someone else re-read your post and they thought maybe you are tying the direct bag off to the object and jumping. Sort of like a poor man's static line, but you aren't doing that either, are you . . .?

Nick
Basic Research

Nick_BR

December 31st, 1999, 12:44 AM
I hope I confused you guys or I am a lucky SOB!! the d-bag I got is 16" in length(from handle to handle) and 8" wide..I got the d-bag from an old jumper that used to jump in the late 80's..

The tip on folding it makes better sense..the way I did it was the clump up way..http://www.baselogic.com/forum/images/sad.gif anyway, is my d-bag wrong for my container? anyway thanks for all the info..oh yeah, NO, I DID NOT USED IT AS A STATIC LINE...

Thanks again for the concern and info..

Crash out.

December 31st, 1999, 12:19 PM
Oh, I see now, that's not one of BR's D-bags. Ours are a bit wider at between 15 and 16 inches. This makes it a lot easier to insert the canopy. I can imagine how hard it would be to stuff a BASE canopy into an 8 inch wide bag. This probably also produces a lot of force on the bag holder’s end as you launch.

We, of course, could provide you with a new one. These have double color coded handles on each side and are built to fit whatever size REACTOR you have. They are $50 each. And they come with a bridle to tie the bag in, but not with the caribiner you'll also need.

However, I must say that it appears (from sales figures anyway) that Direct Bag isn't as popular as it once was. Most people it seems are turning to static line. (We sell a hell of a lot more 80 pound breakcord than direct bags).

Some advantages to static line are, a bit longer of a freefall, a bit further away from the object when deployed, and if you're anti-social, you don't need an accomplice.

The disadvantages are a slightly higher chance of an off heading opening (all things being equal), more complicated rigging (if you don't already know how) and you will eventually leave little strings hanging from the corners of all the downtown buildings.

Cheers,
Nick_BR

December 31st, 1999, 08:57 PM
Thanks man, I'll check out your web page to see how much..I should of know, alot have change since the 80's regading BASE gear.

Crash out.