PDA

View Full Version : Canopy Question

squirrel
December 4th, 1999, 07:44 PM
I'm suppossed to go snowboarding tomorrow, but the conditions suck, so I figured I'd bring my canopy. I was wondering 2 things:

1. is it possible to get under canopy on a steep hill? if so how?

2. would it be better to bring a nice slow BASE canopy or a highly loaded Sabre?

December 6th, 1999, 05:33 PM
As a veteran of running down steep hills with a Strato Star in the late 1970s, with my friends yelling, "Fly Nick, Fly" but only moonwalking for five yards at a time before crashing over and over I'd say take the Sabre.

Nick
BR

December 6th, 1999, 10:29 PM
I took a Firelite (170sq ft) to Ireland in 90 and ran down the Sugarloaf outside of Dublin about twenty times before the local parapente club begged me to take one of theirs. Much more fun going back up after take-off instead of hoping I could lift my butt over the rocks as I swooped down the hill. Found parapente to have too narrow a wind envelope to enjoy very often though. The Sabre sounds like it would be the hot tip if the slope is steep enough. Ask John LeBlanc at PD. He's real well versed in foot launches of PD stuff. Bill Coe is too.

December 7th, 1999, 12:08 AM
I haven't personally foot launched a canopy, but my husband Dennis and my roommate John have done it a number of times....Dennis uses his Jedei l35, John uses his Jonathon l50 and his Mojo 240. They hike out to Ward Peak (out of bounds at Alpine Meadows) and actually ski launch..While they're not getting extremely long flights, they are getting some pretty decent flights. I've hiked out with them a few times and watched. Looks like fun - going to have to try it myself sometime soon..

Dwain
December 7th, 1999, 01:41 AM
After many failed attempts at this on large 7-cells, I worked out that I was riding the brakes too much.

The best technique that has worked for me is to get the canopy inflated then apply front riser input. This will let you achieve flat out running speed without hindrance from the inflated canopy above your head. When you are going as fast as possible let the front risers up and tweak the brakes lightly. Hopefully you will take off. Ideally you won't even have to use the brakes to get flying.

Also, remove the p/c, tie the slider down and route the brake lines through the keeper rings. The steeper the hill and stronger the headwind the better (around 10 knots on a 60 degree slope is really nice).

kleggo
December 7th, 1999, 02:17 PM
and may i add?
use the biggest / floatiest / smallest nose cross section canopy you can find.
have fun!

i've had 8 minute canopy rides in the palos verdes peninsula using a pegasus when the wind was howling.
'course i've also had 30 second flights there when the wind sucked.

enjoy......

December 7th, 1999, 02:49 PM
I sent you an e-mail.
I NEED YOUR SNAIL MAIL ADDRESS.
RSVP
Thanks, Avery

December 7th, 1999, 10:27 PM
Is it possible to launch it by foot or do you need skis? I am definitly trying this one...