PDA

View Full Version : Psst, Hey Buddy, Want to Orgainise . . .?

November 16th, 1999, 02:49 PM
The above is the title of a piece I wrote in the JOURNAL many years ago and it reflects on some of the troubles we are still having today. It also somewhat explains the problem we appear to have on this board when communicating with each other.

There is a very fundamental reason we all can't march to the same tune. And it stems simply from perceptions of the sport, perceptions that change as you yourself change.

I've seen this a hundred times, for example, here is what I call a "Stage One" BASE jumper. (Also known as being in "The Jolly Roger" period).

You make your first few BASE jumps and become drunk with the idea of it all. The rules, regulations, and politics of the drop zone environment give way to what you see as total parachute freedom. It's heady. You can now basically jump anytime you want, and you never have to ask for anyone's permission or support.

The world is your own personal launch point and woe betides anyone or anything that gets between you and that launch point. You don't automatically shun publicity because your see your experiences as grander and more spectacular than anyone else’s. The world deserves to be privy to your daring exploits. You are the man.

Then one day you realize you aren't the only BASE jumper in the world and thousands have already shared the same experiences as you. You now go into being a "Stage Two" BASE jumper. You dispense jumping wisdom that may not yet be fully developed, you may show a few people how to BASE jump, and you are now willing to form up with other BASE jumpers to defend a freedom you now suddenly see as endangered.

"Stage Three" is were you find yourself after BASE jumping isn't the only thing in your life. It's the stage where most experienced BASE jumpers find themselves. You may have had a small accident or two or at least managed to scare yourself silly.
You gave up teaching BASE to eager young fledglings because you fully realized the enormity of that responsibility. You are weary of augments concerning access because you don't really know what to make of it, and you are very leery of the media. All you want to do is make a few BASE jumps and come home in one piece.

I sat in on the first ever CJAA meeting in Davis California surrounded by a whole slew of "Stage Three" BASE jumpers. Since that time all the ideas, the same one's that Mick's proposing have already been considered, discussed, and dissected. It is very much a work in progress and if Mick (who is right on top of things) seems out of the loop, it's no wonder we are all going in different directions.

The solution to our problem lies in finding a way to appear organized to those who will grant us permission to jump while at the same time remain what Carl Boenish declared as "A Loose Band of Brothers (and Sisters)."

It is a delicate balancing act that calls for careful thought and good judgment because in the heat of battle, men sometimes forget where their best interests lay.

Nick

November 16th, 1999, 04:42 PM
Thanks for posting that. I agree. Rick and Randy expressed much of the same during their visit in Norway this year. It's frustrating, but at the same time hard to get away from.