PDA

View Full Version : Aussie Cave Jump

December 29th, 2000, 06:40 PM
I thought this post might stir a bit of interest. As the first cave jump was made on Xmas eve right here in Oz!

Who would have thought Australia has a cave? - its not real big and its landing area is full of .......................boulders, but its a jump. I remembered it in distant memory from a previous life climbing and rappelling.

Xmas eve (with a lot of padding and and ankle braces) saw the maiden jump into the hole. Its a quick go and throw and make sure you get an "on" heading. The diameter at opening height is around 100 ft across so there is no dilly dallying to enjoy the view. The whole experience is like throwing a sausage (me) down a hallway (cave) and trying not to hit the sides. Canopy skill is a must!

True to a being hole though, the only way out is by rope so make sure you bring your jumars and don't plan on a speedy getaway. This is quite a workout especially where poor technique is adopted for ascending.

All in all, I give it a dodgey rating of 10. (Not something to be frequented often and not for those with heart conditions). Very pleasant standing at the bottom - partly because I was unhurt and partly because of the unique microclimate that exists in such an unusual place (ferns, moss and other flora).

So there is no need to go to Mexico now its right here in Oz. Part of another dodgey BASE adventure. A little short FF but very exciting!

Happy New Year

Luv

SLIM

bps
January 3rd, 2001, 04:11 PM
Hello Slim -

Keep the stories coming from down-under -- it's good to hear from ol' friends!

And make sure that you don't let Wylie go into retirement now that he's returned home. Gotta make sure that the U.S. doesn't turn Aussies soft!

C-ya,

Bryan

January 3rd, 2001, 06:13 PM
>Gotta make sure that
>the U.S. doesn't turn Aussies soft!

Too late for that. Have you heard DW whining about the 20 minute hike at the Perrine?

January 3rd, 2001, 06:14 PM
Really - we don't have to go to Mexico? Seems a pity - but we did talk about finding soemthing in Oz to do ... only kidding. Found this whilst surfing for Base research. Got any other good site suggestions? Have you got the new Norwegian BASE video?

Happy NY 2001!

Della

January 4th, 2001, 01:21 PM
Gidday Della, Bryan and Tom.

Fancy we should meet here. No I don't have the Norwegian video. That's only because I have seen it at least ten times from when I was in Norway. It is fun viewing though.

Bryan, you are right! I am going to call pete now and organise him for the WE. Nothing like hammering some boulders and scrambling out for an hour or two through scrub to harden up soft legs from days at the Perrine with boat rides and car rides to the top. I wonder if he'll complain as much as me?

And Tom as for DW, your right! There are no indications as to when he'll be back either. He's enjoying the good life too much. Its all hiking and there are no firearms to liven things up.

Luv SLIM

January 4th, 2001, 03:05 PM
>Too late for that. Have you heard DW
>whining about the 20 minute hike at
>the Perrine?

"When in Rome..."