PDA

View Full Version : BASE Deep Thoughts...

November 30th, 1999, 01:32 AM
Every time I make BASE jumps, I get all philisophical. After my first two jumps at Bridge Day, I posted my thoughts on the true meaning of a BASE jump. Well, I just got back from a weekend jumping rocks at Moab, and I'm convinced that the more BASE jumps I make, the weirder my deep thoughts get. So here's what happens when a good mind goes bad...

“BASE jumping is exactly like making love. Think about the parallels...first is the anticipation stage, where you get all mentally worked up about what you’re about to do. The level of anxiety and anticipation follows the same scale of experience—your first couple times, you’re tense but very excited...maybe a little scared and intimidated, too...but the more times you’ve done it, the less tense you are about it. Everything slowly builds toward that moment when you step over the cliff into a breathless silence...then everything starts to happen. The wind builds and builds, the noise builds and builds, your heart beats faster and faster, until you pitch—then BANG...you get overloaded with sensations as your material comes out all at once. You float back to earth while catching your breath, and even after you’re back on the ground, the adrenaline is still working on you. You feel no pain...maybe you’re still shaking a little...and you’re almost always euphoric. It may take a little while for you to recover and get yourself packed and ready to go again, but undoubtedly—if you’re a real man/woman--you will want to go again.”

Any thoughts on the matter? Call me strange, but I think I may have stumbled on to something! http://www.baselogic.com/forum/images/happy.gif

Blue skies everybody!

"I pity those that hold on so tightly to their lives that they squeeze the joy out of them..."

November 30th, 1999, 01:08 PM
>Any thoughts on the matter? Call me strange, but >I think I may have stumbled on to something!

Mari,

You certainly did stumble onto something. And I won't ever call you strange. In fact, I often wonder why BASE jumping doesn't produce more writing like this.

I see the BASE fire in people's eyes and I hear it in their voices everyday, but I seldom read it. Maybe this will help others, and ourselves, understand a bit better this thing we do.

Thanks,
Nick_BR

November 30th, 1999, 01:20 PM
YaFreakinHooo Mari - couldn't have said it better! That pretty well sums up the feelings I get BASE jumping! Keep your thoughts coming - they're great!

Especially liked your last quote....I too pity those who squeeze the joy out of their lives.....

Nik
November 30th, 1999, 03:45 PM
So are BASE seconds in any way comparable.......to say inches.....

we are all but "legends in one's own mind"

December 1st, 1999, 01:42 PM
...got a cigarette???

http://www.baselogic.com/forum/images/happy.gif