Thread: Radio Frequency Environments, EME

1. Header
  2. Header-59

BLiNC Magazine, always served unfiltered
    BLiNC Magazine Supporter (Silver) truckerbase's Avatar

Radio Frequency Environments, EME

These guidelines for working in an electromagnetic environment were on a sign on the fence of an ATT Microwave Relay freestander that I opened a couple of weeks ago up north. Most signs are general and of the "Warning levels of RF radiation past this point may exceed recommended levels for humans" or "Caution Radio Frequency Environment" variety, so I add this sign into Blinc's archives for its specificity. You cant get more to the point then this sign, and I believe you can make some deductions from reading it which may provide some insight for future discussions on the hazards of BASE jumping from antennas (FM), particularly "pro" arguments of the "if its got a ladder its meant for humans to climb, so it must be reasonably safe" variety. This is a common freestander in North America, usually 265-360 ft high (usually around 320 feet); it always has red and white paint, and has a nice big platform on top. A number of these have few or no transmitters on them; but when they do have transceivers on top, they are big, ice cream cone/shoe horn looking things, usually one at each corner of the square platform. This particular antenna had all four corners filled, plus 3 or 4 of the "drum on its side" variety of microwave transmitters at different levels of the body. On top, standing next to the large transmitters you feel distinctly warm. They dont feel warm, the heat doesnt seem to be coming from anywhere, its just if you move away from the center of the platform to go over the railing, YOU feel warm (a microwave environment). The jump was filmed. I transcribe the sign below, thanks...

NOTICE

Guidelines for working in Radiofrequency Environments:

All personnel should have electromagnetic energy (EME) awareness training.

All personnel entering this site must be authorized.

Obey all posted signs.

Assume all antennas are active.

Before working on antennas, notify owners and disable appropriate transmitters.

Maintain minimum 3 feet clearance from all antennas.

Do not stop in front of antennas

Use personal RF monitors while working near antennas.

Never operate transmitters without shields during normal operations.

Do not operate base station antennas in equipment room.

*end sign*

In the Navy, I knew some folks who worked in the radar shop (63A) who periodically came out with tumors and/or burns from operating and being near "transmitters without shields" . In 63A that meant the enlisted tech had forgotten to put a "dummy load" and cover on the transmitter or test equipment in use at full power....

Fork And Spoon Operator ZegeunerLeben's Avatar

Re: Radio Frequency Environments, EME

>>Any idea on where one can get a personal RF monitor?

BLiNC Magazine Supporter (Silver) leroydb's Avatar

ebay is a possibility
    Reality is the playground for our dreams

TRIAX

Quote Originally Posted by ZegeunerLeben
    >>Any idea on where one can get a personal RF monitor?
    better--Anyone know where to get RF protection suits? I spoke with someone who said you only need to be wearing either the RF pants OR the RF jacket to be suitably shielded from the radiation, but for the life of me cannot remember why this was, so until it's confirmed, it's bull****...
    anyone?

Tom Aiello

I thought all you needed was the RF jockey shorts?

>>I wonder if a rigger could determine if RF resistant materials could be sewn into a BASE-jumpsuit for jumpers who prefer A's

>>I wonder if a rigger could determine if RF resistant materials could be sewn into a BASE-jumpsuit for jumpers who prefer A's
    In a google search field enter "rf dosimeter" for a variety of information on radiation monitors, such as www.electrosmog.com. Id personally be interested in seeing the chart provided for determining the seriousness of exposure, as in, 25 units; ignore. 250; bloody nose. 500 units; go to emergency room immediately. 1000 units; call mom and say goodbye.

1500 units, probably just says "you know better than to climb Houston's antennas, stupid"

It would also be worth searching Blinc or dropzone archives for the "oncogen" cancer switch thread, which, if summed up, basically says " if youre going to die youre going to die". And if not, see you on your 100th birthday. If you dont have a "disposition" for cancer then neither smoking or handling hazardous waste, jerking off on Microwave relay transmitters or even shaking hands with Tom Aiello is ever going to give you cancer. Review youre family medical history for info on Risk Management in this area.

Keep in mind, however, that jerking off on Microwave relay transmitters or shaking hands with Tom Aiello could result in "heat damage" to cells, or even burns which are a different class of hazard; easily avoidable with common sense--dont get in front of either Tom or transmitters at any time.

As to protective suits, enter "rf shielding" into your search field. Have a look at www.medamericainc.com paying particular note to the "flexible sheets...highly customizable...sewn into shapes or laminated with virtually any material..."comments.

If your budget is a problem may I recommend tin foil wrapped around your head and teased into a twirly point. This keeps aliens from knowing that youre climbing on one of their mind control transmitters....
    Base 758

Don't Worry, Be Happy...

>>So what are you saying? That I should just get up off my lazy ass and do a search?

>>So what are you saying? That I should just get up off my lazy ass and do a search?
    No. That you should never shake hands with Tom Aiello after jerking off...
    Base 758

Don't Worry, Be Happy...

BLiNC Magazine Supporter (Silver) Faber's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by truckerbase
    No. That you should never shake hands with Tom Aiello after jerking off...
    guess your speaking of experince

Quote Originally Posted by Faber
    guess your speaking of experince
    via translation machinery="guess you're speaking FROM experiEnce" (end translation)

Response:

"Jealous?......" -via reverse translation machinery (into Faberese)= gelluoz?

End Transaction.
    Base 758

Don't Worry, Be Happy...

some posts I found in the archives - I have not read through them, but as it was the same sort of subject thought I would post them.

Name: base428
    E-Mail: heythere@321cya.com
    Subject: rf gaussmeters
    Body of Message:
    If anyone's interested in taking an emf/rf gaussmeter on their next antenna climb, check out:
    http://www.microwavenews.com/EMF.html
    or
    http://www.edsci.com/cgi-bin/catalo...etic.html&id=58
    The bottom link is to Edmund Scientific's web page. The link goes to a newer gaussmeter that doesn't mention RF radiation, but I've got a current catalog that mentions the Cell Sensor electromagnetic field gaussmeter with RF radiation measurement for $36.95 (#V81-604). Probably too cheap to be accurate, but a fun toy to take to the top of your local high-RF output antenna.
    Can ya feeeeeel the heat? Any recommendations from our RF people out there in baseland?
    Winter blues.....3,2,1,cya - base428
    Link: 3,2,1,cya!!!!!!!
    Added on Date: 01:22:47 11/16/98
    com/EMF.html
    or
    http://www.edsci.com/cgi-bin/catalo...etic.html&id=58
    The bottom link is to Edmund Scientific's web page. The link goes to a newer gaussmeter that doesn't mention RF radiation, but I've got a current catalog that mentions the Cell Sensor electromagnetic field gaussmeter with RF radiation measurement for $36.95 (#V81-604). Probably too cheap to be accurate, but a fun toy to take to the top of your local high-RF output antenna.
    Can ya feeeeeel the heat? Any recommendations from our RF people out there in baseland?
    Winter blues.....3,2,1,cya - base428
    Link: 3,2,1,cya!!!!!!!
    Added on Date: 01:23:53 11/16/98